Senior Director of Operations and Development
Exempt, Full Time
Please send cover letter and resume to:
United Way of Broome County, Inc.
PO Box 550
Binghamton, NY 13902
POSITION SUMMARY STATEMENT
This position serves as the Financial Manager for United Way of Broome County, an organization with a multi-million dollar annual budget. This position collaborates with senior management to provide strategic direction for the development and operation of the organization’s Finance and Donor Services. The successful candidate must possess excellent organizational, communication, teamwork and management skills. Responsibilities include cash management, internal and external financial reporting, pledge-related activities, management of multiple budgets, and the establishment of multi-year budgeting to enable the organization to make timely, proactive and knowledgeable business decisions related to operations.
Our total revenue from memberships, grants, contributions, earned income and other sources exceeded $3 million in 2016. Additionally, a group of visionary supporters from this community came together more than sixty years ago and established an endowment fund for our United Way. Through careful management and strategic investment, these funds donated have grown to a level that we use a portion of the annual earnings to offset all of our administrative and overhead costs and also to support program funding. The organization is in solid financial condition.
- BA degree in Accounting
- Experience in not-for-profit management
- Demonstrated decision-making skills using creative problem solving and analytical skills to provide resolution
- Accomplished at working in a complex and dynamic environment where there are competing needs and limited resources
- Excellent communication skills, including group facilitation, presentation, listening, & writing skills
- Excellent client relation/interpersonal skills
- Self starter, highly motivated, takes initiative, excellent follow-through skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Knowledge of United Way campaign activities
- Excellent computer skills including, but not limited to Microsoft Excel, Word, and QuickBooks
- Strong commitment to the United Way mission and vision
- Supervisory experience necessary
Direct the financial operations of the organization which include yet are not limited to:
- Financial Accounting with respect to day-to-day management of all fiscal operations
- Manage the development of multi-year budgets for the Organization and all programs/grants
- Analyze costs for all business lines and work with management to integrate strategies into United Way’s business planning activities
- Review and update allocations and inter-company transfers
- Long- and short-term financial forecasting
- Prepare monthly journal entries, financial analysis, and financial statements
- Provide, by established due date, all information for annual audits including work papers list and draft of financial statements
- Overall management of budgeting cycle
- Prepare annual financial statements and other required finance reports
- Ensure the use of appropriate and accurate accounting practices.
- Recommend policies and procedures that increase efficiencies, provide effective internal controls and reduce costs and assist with implementation
- In collaboration with Senior Management, maintain relationships and negotiate terms for services with banking institutions
- Provide oversight of risk management, property and casualty insurance. Review all contracts for insurance requirements and request certificates of liability as needed, ensuring adequate coverage is provided
- In collaboration with Senior Management, provide analysis regarding financial feasibility of changes to benefits and analysis of salary and benefit projection
- Record investment activity monthly for all investments in the general fund, endowment fund, trust fund, and third party trust
- Work with Finance Committee and Investment Committee to provide oversight of long-term investments in the Endowment and Trust accounts
- Review bi-weekly payroll, along with quarterly and year-end payroll tax reports
- Prepare 990, 1099, 1096 reports and related NYS filings
- Review financial policies and update as necessary
MANAGEMENT & SUPERVISION:
- Direct supervision of the Finance Associate and Bookkeeper
- Respond to external and internal requests and inquiries in a timely and professional manner
- Supervision of all Vita team volunteers
- Ability to provide detailed and timely analysis of current issues and provide recommendations to the Senior Management Team
- Expertise in all aspects of finance and accounting.
- In-depth knowledge of accounting procedures and regulations, particularly those involving non-profit organizations.
- Skilled at investment management and risk management including insurance, taxation issues and regulation, and audit procedures
- A wide knowledge of financial, business, and management issues.
- Ability to collect and evaluate varied information, facts and data to perform detailed analysis of financial statements
- Ability to develop financial strategies and negotiate favorable banking agreements
- Strong, team-oriented management skills obtained through significant experience with senior managers.
- Ability to generate ideas, establish direction, and obtain commitment from staff
- Skilled in making formal and informal presentations dealing with complex financial information that creates a positive impact with internal and external audiences.
- Ability to listen effectively and respond quickly during Board of Director and Finance Committee meetings
- Actively communicate with staff
- Ability to understand and apply complex financial and business concepts.
- Effective in integrating information from a wide variety of sources to design financial solutions.
- Adept at keeping track of financial details and able to translate internal reports and procedures for external audiences.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with staff, volunteers, contributors, agencies, members of the Board of Directors, and Finance and Investment Committees
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of all United Way operations; represent the organization at appropriate community and business events
Compensation & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. An excellent employee benefits package includes:
- Vacation, Personal and Sick Time
- Medical, Vision and Dental Insurance Available
- Retirement plan
- Long-term disability insurance
- Short term disability plan
- Group life insurance